Brilliantly innovative, heartbreaking, and wickedly funny, John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask’s landmark American musical, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, is now the winner of four 2014 Tony Awards including Best Musical Revival. Directed by Tony Award® winner Michael Mayer (Spring Awakening), this long-awaited Broadway debut production of Hedwig has been called “furiously entertaining and terrifically smart” by New York Magazine and cheered by WNBC as “the finest musical you’re going to see this year” .
John Cameron Mitchell stars as Hedwig – the role he created -- alongside Tony winner Lena Hall, who continues with the production as Yitzhak. This marks Mitchell’s first New York stage appearance since his iconic 1998 performance as Hedwig at the Jane Street Theatre, a role which earned him an Obie Award and an Outer Critics Circle nomination. He later starred in and directed the film version of Hedwig and the Angry Inch and received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy. Mitchell’s other acting credits include “Girls,” The Secret Garden, and Six Degrees of Separation. His other directing credits include Rabbit Hole, Shortbus, and the upcoming film adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s punk era story How to Talk to Girls at Parties.
From April 29 through July 19, Darren Criss steps into Hedwig’s heels, returning to Broadway for the first time since his sold-out run in How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying in January 2012. A multi-talented musician, composer and actor, Criss currently stars as Blaine Anderson on Fox's Emmy and Golden Globe Award-winning series Glee. His additional film, TV and stage credits include Girl Most Likely opposite Kristen Wiig and Annette Bening, The Wind Rises with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Web Therapy, ABC’s Backstage with Disney on Broadway, Michael Feinstein's New Year's Eve Special on PBS as well as hosting duties for the NewNowNext Awards and Teen Choice Awards.
John Cameron Mitchell, Rebecca Naomi Jones
Beginning April 29:
Darren Criss (thru 7/19), Rebecca Naomi Jones
Book: John Cameron Mitchell
Music & Lyrics: Stephen Trask
Director: Michael Mayer
Producer: Hedwig Broadway Company LLC
Press Agent: Boneau / Bryan-Brown
- Best Revival of a Musical - Winner!
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Musical - Neil Patrick Harris - Winner!
- Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Musical - Lena Hall - Winner!
- Best Scenic Design of a Musical - Julian Crouch
- Best Costumer Design of a Musical - Arianne Phillips
- Best Lighting Design of a Musical - Kevin Adams - Winner!
- Best Sound Design of a Musical - Tim O'Heir
- Best Direction of a Musical - Michael Mayer
Nominated for 3 2014 Drama Desk Awards
- Outstanding Revival of a Musical - Winner!
- Outstanding Actor in a Musical - Neil Patrick Harris - Winner!
- Outstanding Director of a Musical - Michael Mayer
Nominated for 3 2014 Outer Critics Circle Awards
- Outstanding Revival of a Musical
- Outstanding Lighting Design - Kevin Adams
- Outstanding Actor in a Musical - Neil Patrick Harris
As Far as Possible From His Sitcom
Neil Patrick Harris has a hectic schedule around Manhattan as he prepares for the lead role in Hedwig and the Angry Inch on Broadway.
Neil Patrick Harris interview: “You might as well own the spotlight”
Goodbye, ducky tie; hello, heels: The TV star returns to the stage with a primal roar in Hedwig and the Angry Inch