From Alice Walker’s classic Pulitzer Prize-winning novel and the landmark film by Steven Spielberg, comes a soul-stirring musical. The Color Purple is an inspiring and unforgettable story of a woman, who, through love, finds the strength to triumph over adversity and discover her unique voice in the world. With a moving book and a score featuring gospel, jazz, pop and the blues, The Color Purple is about hope, a testament to the healing power of love and a celebration of life.
View a video clip of the show!
For information about group sales for groups of 15 or more click here, or call Telecharge.com Group Sales. Inside the NY metro area (212) 239-6262; Outside the NY metro area (800) 432-7780
Zonya Love, Elisabeth Withers-Mendes, Alton Fitzgerald White, Chaka Khan*, BeBe Winans, Chaz Lamar Shepherd, Darlesia Cearcy, LaKisha Jones, Krisha Marcano, Leilani N. Bryant, Teresa Stanley, Yolanda Wyns, Larry Marshall, Deidra H. Brooks, Latrisa Coleman, Ruby Crawford, Bobby Daye, Doug Eskew, LaVon Fisher-Wilson, Montego Glover, Charles Gray, Gavin Gregory, Shelby Braxton-Brooks, Stephanie Guiland-Brown, Todrick Hall, James Harkness, Francesca Harper, Chauncey Jenkins, Ashley Renee Jordan, Kenya Unique Massey, Marla McReynolds, Jennifer Mollet, JC Montgomery, Angela Robinson, Levensky Smith, Ricky Smith, Jamal Story
*Chaka Khan will not perform Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday Matinees. At those performances, LaKisha Jones will perform the role of Sofia.
Book: Marsha Norman
Music & Lyrics: Brenda Russell, Allee Willis & Stephen Bray
Director: Gary Griffin
Choreographer: Donald Byrd
Producer: The Color Purple, LLC
Press Agent: Barlow-Hartman
Nominated for 10 2006 Tony Awards:
- Best Musical
- Best Book of a Musical: Marsha Norman
- Best Original Score written for the Theatre: Music & Lyrics by Brenda Russell, Allee Willis, Stephen Bray
- Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical: LaChanze - Winner!
- Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical: Brandon Victor Dixon
- Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical: Felicia P. Fields
- Best Choreography: Donald Byrd
- Best Scenic Design of a Musical: John Lee Beatty
- Best Costume Design for a Musical: Paul Tazewell
- Best Lighting Design of a Musical: Brian MacDevitt
Nominated for 5 2006 Outer Critic Circle Awards:
- Outstanding Broadway Musical
- Outstanding New Score
- Outstanding Actress in a Musical - LaChanze
- Outstanding Featured Actress in a Musical - Elisabeth Withers-Mendes
- Outstanding Set Design - John Lee Beatty