Mix a Hitchcock masterpiece with a juicy spy novel, add a dash of Monty Python and you have...(mystery chords!) The 39 Steps, Broadway's most intriguing, most thrilling, most riotous, most UNMISSABLE comedy smash! The mind-blowing cast of 4 plays over 150 characters in this fast-paced tale of an ordinary man on an extraordinarily entertaining adventure.
39 Steps, 2 Actors, Countless Roles (New York Times)
Will the thugs harm the old couple? Will the McGarrigles reveal the whereabouts of our hero and heroine? And how on earth will all four roles be played by just two actors?
From Sketch to Stage (New York Times)
A look at The 39 Steps with the show's set designer Peter McKintosh
Novel to Screen to Stage: Evolving Step by Step (New York Times)
In London the award-winning theatrical comedy is billed as John Buchan's The 39 Steps. But on Broadway, where the British import opened this month, it is called Alfred Hitchcock's The 39 Steps.
Talkback Tuesdays: Every Tuesday night, stay after the show to watch film scholars, comedians and more discuss Broadway's longest-running comedy thriller!
Arnie Burton, Jeffrey Kuhn, Sean Mahon, Jill Paice
Adapted by: Patrick Barlow
Director: Maria Aitken
Producer: 39 Steps L.P.
Press Agent: Boneau/Bryan-Brown
Nominated for 6 2008 Tony Awards
Nominated for 3 2008 Outer Critics Circle Awards
- Best Play
- Best Scenic Design of a Play - Peter McKintosh
- Best Costume Design of a Play - Peter McKintosh
- Best Lighting Design of a Play - Kevin Adams - Winner
- Best Sound Design of a Play - Mic Pool - Winner
- Best Direction of a Play - Maria Aitken
Nominated for 3 2008 Drama Desk Awards
- Outstanding New Broadway Play
- Outstanding Director of a Play - Maria Aitken
- Outstanding Lighting Design - Kevin Adams
- Unique Theatrical Experience - Winner
- Outstanding Lighting Design - Kevin Adams - Winner
- Outstanding Sound Design - Mic Pool