From the Donmar Warehouse in London - which brought you Frost/Nixon, Mary Stuart and this season's Hamlet with Jude Law - comes the thrilling new American play, Red. This critically acclaimed, 90-minute drama comes direct from a sold-out run in London, starring two-time Tony Award nominee Alfred Molina and breakthrough British star Eddie Redmayne.
Master American expressionist Mark Rothko has just landed the biggest commission in the history of modern art. But when his young assistant gains the confidence to challenge him, Rothko faces the agonizing possibility that his crowning achievement could also become his undoing. Raw and provocative, with ground-breaking performances, Red is a searing portrait of an artist's ambition and vulnerability as he tries to create a definitive work for an extraordinary setting.
Written by Academy Award nominee John Logan (The Aviator, Gladiator) and directed by Olivier winner and Tony Award nominee Michael Grandage (Frost/Nixon, Hamlet), Red is an award-winning production coming direct to Broadway, offering a moving and compelling account of an artist's struggle for integrity amidst fame and self-doubt.
Alfred Molina, Eddie Redmayne
Author: John Logan
Director: Michael Grandage
Producer: Red Broadway LLC
Press Agent: Boneau / Bryan-Brown
Nominated for 7 2010 Tony Awards
Winner of 3 2010 Drama Desk Awards
- Best Play - Author: John Logan - Winner!
- Leading Actor in a Play - Alfred Molina
- Featured Actor in a Play - Eddie Redmayne - Winner!
- Best Direction of a Play - Michael Grandage - Winner!
- Best Scenic Design of a Play - Christopher Oram - Winner!
- Best Lighting Design of a Play - Neil Austin - Winner!
- Best Sound Design of a Play - Adam Cork - Winner!
Nominated for 2 2010 Outer Critic Circle Awards
- Outstanding Play
- Outstanding Director of a Play - Michael Grandage
- Outstanding Lighting Design - Neil Austin
- Outstanding New Broadway Play - Winner!
- John Gassner Award (for American play)